Saturday, October 09, 2010

School Days

Over the past several weeks I have enjoyed having lunch with the boys. Before school started, I was excited that their schools were going to be next door to each other and not across town (at least as far across town as Hallsville can get) unlike the past few years. Well when school started we learned that their lunch break was at the same time. That figures:) So on Thursdays after Grace is at Mothers Day Out I get to enjoy lunch with just my boys!

Thursday, Caden enjoying his burger from Mc Donald's! Silly kid. Afterwards we had a fun time together at the book fair!

Enjoying lunch with Jared and my Nephew Caleb! After dropping off Jared's cake to share with his class. Oh the joys of being an 11 year old boy!

Since we are on the topic of school, I wanted to journal about what happened to Jared yesterday. And maybe get other opinions from those who may read this. I will say Jeff and I are not "mad", but we will be calling the school to talk to the nurse just to let her know a phone call from the substitute nurse, to give us a heads up on our son, would have been nice.

On Friday Jared got into the car looking like he didn't feel well. Tired and very pale. I said jokingly, "Hey boy did you not see me, I was just two cars back?" (from the front of the pick up line) "No. I didn't see you but I wasn't looking around though." As I'm thinking... okay that's an odd reply. Jared says, "Did you get the call from the school?" "No." (as we're driving off and checking my phone for any missed calls). "Why?" "Oh I just figured the nurse, well the substitute nurse would have called you." "Why, what happened?!" "I almost fainted. I couldn't see very well and everything was a yellowish color." "Really, when did this happen?" "After gym. I was singing in music and all of a sudden I just felt really bad, I couldn't see very well, everything was a yellow color. I raised my hand and told the teacher I didn't feel good. The teacher told Haley (another student) to walk with me to see the nurse because I was really pale and couldn't walk straight" Knowing he has music last period. I said, "Really. What time did this happen?" "About 45mins ago." I just got really hot in gym class." "Did you ever get a drink of water?" "No." "Really?" The nurse had another teacher walk with me out to pick ups just to make sure I would make it okay." "No, sweetheart, no one called me." "Well, probably because it was almost time for pick ups." "True. A call would have been nice just to let me know what happened. Not all kids tell their parents things that happen to them at school."

So, we got home and fill him full of oranges and strawberries. Within a few minutes he was not the color of the clouds in the sky. Really? Yes. He was that white. And had black circles around his eyes. Thankfully Jared did tell us what happened, but Jeff and I agree if this happened to Caden he wouldn't have said anything about it, "not a big deal, mom.....dad." We have to practically tell that child he's sick. He agrees, only after we tell him he has a high fever with his eyes all a droop. Thankfully we are the type of parents who pay attention to our children and know when they don't feel well, but not all parents do. Which is very upsetting. No, we would not have been able to pick him up really any earlier being that he went to the nurse at 2:15, but we feel a phone call to inform us and not having to hear it first hand from our child would have been nice. And if there was not a sub things may have been handled differently but we feel we need to call and let them know we are not happy how things were handled.
Update: The phone call went well this morning. She apologized and thanked us for calling. She said the EMT that saw Jared on Friday did forget to call us because it was so late in the day.
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
1 Corinthians 1:27

2 comments:

  1. Just my opinion:
    Since it was late in the day, I understand that they may not have called you, but for informational purposes, it is fairly important. That being said: they can still call you late in the day and you could pick him up in the office and not have to wait through the pick up line. If they were worried enough that a teacher walked with him outside, then it warranted a call. I know none of us are perfect and at the end of the day (and week in this case) things get very hectic. I have seen that office at the end of the day and it is CRAZY busy. But the nurse should have handled it. Again, just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl. I couldn't agree with you more!

    A few of you called me with your apinion and it's so good to know we are not crazy or over protective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...